The Black Nights Film Festival organises a 48-hour marathon screening
In special recognition of Finland's 100th birthday, Tallinn Black Nights Film Festival has created a special programme of 23 films celebrating Finnish cinematic history, which will be shown in a 48-hour-long marathon screening. The unprecedented screening is set to take place between the 24th and 26th of November at the old cinematheque Kinomaja in Tallinn’s Old Town. The events programme will include a karaoke contest and a live peformance by the band Marko Haavisto & Poutahaukat, who gained fame performing in Aki Kaurismäki’s The Man Without a Past. The screenings will be introduced by various Finnish filmmakers, including director Jörn Donner and actress Kati Outinen.
The opening film will be Jörn Donner’s legendary documentary Fuck Off! Images of Finland (1971), a cross-section of Finnish society in 1970, where beauty and ugliness, sad and funny, gentle and obscene co-exist organically. The uncut version only received screening permission at the end of the 1980’s. The selected films have been made between the years 1938 and 2008, genres include drama, thriller, horror, erotic, crime and comedy, all of them having gained a cult status in Finland and most having never been shown in Estonia. All the movies will be screened from 35mm films.
The programme has been curated by the reputable Sodankylä Midnight Sun Film Festival, that was founded and is artistically consulted by Aki and Mika Kaurismäki. “The selection represents the diverse mental landscape of Finland. We interpret the word ‘cult’ as broadly as possible, using it to name films that have aroused both admiration and indignation, and have lived longer than one generation. On top of that, this feast will be screened on celluloid, making it a rare one-time pleasure,” said Milja Mikkola, the artistic director of Sodankylä festival.
Black Nights’ sub-festival PÖFF Shorts will screen a selection of Aki Kaurismäki’s short films.
- Stolen Death (1938) - Nyrki Tapiovaara
- Cross of Love (1946) - Teuvo Tulio
- Louisa (1946), Valentin Vaala
- The White Reindeer (1952), Erik Blomberg
- Gas, Inspector Palmu! (1961), Matti Kassila
- Skin, Skin (1966), Mikko Niskanen
- Portraits of Women (1970), Jörn Donner
- The Count (1971), Peter von Bagh
- Fuck Off! - Images of Finland (1971), Jörn Donner
- Sensuela (1973), Teuvo Tulio
- The Year of the Hare (1977), Risto Jarva
- Life, Here I Come! (1980), Tapio Suominen
- The Worthless (1982), Mika Kaurismäki
- „Calamari Union” (1985), Aki Kaurismäki
- The Last Rat Skins (1985), Anssi Mänttäri
- The Moonlight Sonata (1988), Olli Soinio
- Dolly and Her Lover (1990), Matti Ijäs
- The Prodigal Son (1992), Veikko Aaltonen
- The Land of Happiness (1993), Markku Pölönen
- Take Care of Your Scarf, Tatiana (1994), Aki Kaurismäki
- The Collector (1997), Auli Mantila
- The Man Without a Past (2002), Aki Kaurismäki
- Sauna (2008), AJ Annila
The screening tickets and the two day programme pass sale will begin on November 10. The single ticket for one screening is 3 euros, the programme pass 15 euros.
The Man Without a Past